We are now searching for volunteers work with us at Start Smarter.
Job Title: Journalist
Employers Name: Start Smarter Ltd (www.startsmarter.co.uk)
Location of the Job: Successful applicants may work from home.
Hours of Work: 5 hours at your convenience, 1 – 2 day(s) a week (flexible around existing commitments)
We are an Internet based magazine that publishes daily tips, advice and news for people whom are planning to start up their own business.
Your role is to find reliable, current and engaging articles or videos. These will inspire you to write articles or make videos in your own words, based on the source(s) you found. Each article should not be more than 1500 words. Videos should not be more than 10 minutes long. Typically researching and writing articles or creating videos can take anywhere between 1 – 5 hours to complete – although in some scenarios this may take less or more time. We would like you to write an article or create a video once a week.
You will have to specialise in at least one of the following fields:
-Leadership & Management
- GCSE English: C or above
- A Level English: Preferred but not necessary.
- Any qualifications in the chosen specialising field – preferred but not necessary.
We are looking for evidence of your skills and potential in the following areas:
- Clear, concise and well-written English with the ability to tell a story in a clear and engaging way.
- The ability to find good stories and explain them in a way that suits a variety of audiences, within agreed deadlines.
- Ability to work co-operatively as part of a team.
- Ability to demonstrate resilience and flexibility with a willingness to learn new skills.
- A passion for news, current affairs, business and/or technology with an awareness of/interest in what’s happening.
- Ability to exercise good judgment when selecting and writing stories, mindful of legal issues.
- Accuracy and attention to detail.
- Ability (or willingness to learn) to use website publishing technology.
- Understanding of the audiences.
- Preferred but not necessary experience with journalism.
Duration of Volunteering
For the duration of the volunteering probationary period, successful applicants will not be paid. Instead will benefit from other perks – see below. However paid employment after 6 month period is likely for volunteers that perform well.
Volunteers that complete the 6 months duration will receive a portfolio which is uploaded onto a media storage device with all the work they have carried out for StartSmarter.
Every article written by the volunteers, will have the writers name on the bottom of the article – giving them full recognition for each post. This will allow names and bio’s of those who volunteer to rank up on search engines, thus providing a solid basis for their profile.
Once volunteers have written articles or created videos for 6 months, there is a possibility that volunteers may be recruited as paid employees depending on their performance.
At StartSmarter we respect each other and celebrate our diversity so that everyone gives their best. StartSmarter positively encourages applications from all parts of the community and is committed to promoting equality of opportunity.
Please note your article or video is not guaranteed that it will be used on our website. However if we do not use it, we will give constructive feedback on why it wasn’t used.
Every individual writer/journalist/intern/employee is responsible for their own article/video/post. Author’s/Volunteers must not break any copyright laws, plagiarise or give their personal opinions and/or views. Author’s/Volunteers must fully reference the source they have used to gather information that is used in their article/video/post.
Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org or call 0208 123 8900 for more information.